- Contact: port-xen
- Duration estimate: 48 hours
Abstract: This is the first step towards PVH mode. This is relevant only for DomU. Speeds up amd64 - PV on amd64 has sub-optimal TLB and syscall overhead due to privilege level sharing between kernel and userland.
- operational PV drivers (netif.h, blkif.h) on HVM mode.
- Xen needs to be detected at boottime.
- The shared page and hypercall interface need to be setup.
- xenbus(4) attachment during bootime configuration.
This project involves intrusive kernel configuration changes, since NetBSD currently has separate native (GENERIC) and xen (XEN3_DOMU) kernels. A "hybrid" build is required to bring in the PV drivers and xen infrastructure support such as xenbus(4).
Once the hypercall page is up however, progress should be faster.