# NetBSD-8 release notes items #
Below list needs to be expanded about ARM, MPSAFE networking changes.
Then expanded to be readable by an average technically inclined person.
Then reordered for most cool things on top.
* W^X memory protection enforced by default on architectures with fine-grained memory protection
* ASLR in some archs, MKPIE default for userland
XXX list of archs
* SSP/FORTIFY default for userland and packages.
XXX is SSP / MKPIE new to userland?
* In-kernel audio mixer
* USB system rework. added USB3 support.
The following networking components and drivers have been made MPSAFE:
XXX long list, TODO.smpnet is a start
* Reproducible build (link to blog)
* Dynamic tracing (DTrace) for kernel code (link to guide/intro)
* Meltdown fixes
* amd64 kernel W^X
* EFI bootloader
* kernel modules support
* awin, FDT
* TC-USB, TurboChannel USB support for ...
* mntva, driver for mntmn's VA2000 amiga graphics card
* bta2dpd - new Bluetooth Advanced Audio Distribution Profile daemon
* iwm(4), a driver for Intel Wireless devices (AC7260, AC7265, AC3160...)
* nvme(4), a driver for NVMe hardware, ported from OpenBSD
* nouveau, an open source driver for modern nVidia graphics, ported from linux, available by default.
(this is at the bottom because we mentioned it in 7.1 too)
CVSweb for NetBSD wikisrc <wikimaster@NetBSD.org> software: FreeBSD-CVSweb