## NetBSD 7.0 Planning
Possible discussion topics, from an email to releng written by Alistair Crooks on 20130317:
1. Other TCP congestion control algorithms like HTCP and cubic.
Lunix has moved to cubic, it's in FreeBSD but not turned on by
default. Don't know of anyone working on this. Someone needs to.
2. Be good to get John Eaglesham's SYN cookie stuff into 7.0. Been
proposed twice on tech-net. John worked for me at Yahoo!, I asked him
to do it.
3. Top of kernel virtualisation, like bad's gaols or mult. gaols aren't
complete, code from 2008 in ~bad/gaols/ on morden. mult code from 2007
is on tech-kern:
4. Some TLC for usermode would be nice
5. valgrind - I've made a start, and have it running on NetBSD/i386, but
it maps to the wrong place, and I ran out of cycles. Please contact me
for more details, I can give access to a repo
6. I think Martin was going to one of the SCTP developers to look into
providing SCTP on NetBSD.
7. We now have PGP signature verification via netpgpverify with no
external libs or dependencies - see pkgsrc/security/netpgpverify, I will
import into src real soon now. Means that we could look at an installer
which verified sets against signatures, some other uses for it too -
certainly there are on the pkgsrc side, with binary packages etc.
I can think of an audit-system, and binary packages to plug vulnerabilities
and such too (we got rid of the vanity kernels in 5.0 timeframe, and I
think that few people want to use anything except GENERIC these days).
8. I've a whole raft of stuff in othersrc - I'd like feedback if it should
go into src, remain in othersrc, or just not interested.
9. I would like to get symbol versioning into our libs (maybe not them all
but it does make sense to do them all at same time) in time for 7.0. Code
taken from FreeBSD, but not the way they version symbols, which is unusual
(RELENG pls note). This would allow us to bump libc major.
10. Update ZFS to a less embarassing version before 7 (RELENG pls note)
I know of no-one working on this.
11. Some more modules, TLC and love for LVM. I know of no-one working on
12. Would like to look at a systematic way of providing images for 7.0.
riz does the amazon ones, would be great to get vmware, citrix/xen, qemu
others out there as first class citizens when 7.0 is announced.
13. Is anyone doing profiling of 7.0? I suspect there are big slowdowns
which would love to be found and teased out - riastradh mentioned one
in the file system transaction code, I think?
CVSweb for NetBSD wikisrc <wikimaster@NetBSD.org> software: FreeBSD-CVSweb