title="Port launchd (350h)"
[Launchd](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchd) is a MacOS/X utility that is used to start and control daemons similar to init(8), but much more powerful. There was an effort to port launchd to FreeBSD, but it seems to be [abandoned](http://wiki.freebsd.org/launchd). We should first investigate what happened to the FreeBSD effort to avoid duplicating work. The port is not trivial because launchd uses a lot of mach features.
* report of FreeBSD efforts (past and present)
* launchd port replacing: init
* launchd port replacing: rc
* launchd port compatible with: rc.d scripts
* launchd port replacing: watchdogd
Nice to have:
* launchd port replacing/integrating: inetd
* launchd port replacing: atd
* launchd port replacing: crond
* launchd port replacing: (the rest)
(noted by edreyfus) A lot of mach functionality were added in COMPAT_MACH (src/sys/compat/mach), which has been removed from cvs, but it could be resurrected.
CVSweb for NetBSD wikisrc <wikimaster@NetBSD.org> software: FreeBSD-CVSweb