NetBSD/vax is the port of NetBSD to DEC VAX computers. The first model was announced in 1977 and they were sold until September 30, 2000! NetBSD/vax was the first free OS that ran on the VAX series of computers, and by far runs on the largest number of models.
Development activity on NetBSD/vax continues at a speed depending of people's spare time. NetBSD runs on most of the common desktop systems and also on some of the more unusual older systems such as the large-scale 11/780 and 8600.
The NetBSD/vax port began with NetBSD-current sources from a bit before the [NetBSD 1.0 release](http://www.netbsd.org/releases/formal-1.0/). NetBSD/vax's first formal release was [NetBSD 1.2](http://www.netbsd.org/releases/formal-1.2/), though there had been many snapshots available before.
The first binary and source snapshot of NetBSD/vax was made available to the public on August 4, 1994. It supported only the VAX 11/750 system, and only MSCP disks and DEUNA ethernet. Soon after that ports to other VAX systems begun to show up.
The first MicroVAX support was written by Rick Macklem in January 1995, and soon thereafter other MicroVAX systems also was supported. In mid-1996, Bertram Barth wrote the first VAXstation support.
In August 1998, the first VMS-only vax was supported; the VAXstation 4000 model 60.
Dennis Ritchie has some pages containing a historical perspective on the [original VAX architecture](http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/vax.html).
###Developers and Development Funding
As with the rest of NetBSD, development on vax issues involves a world-wide [team of people](http://www.netbsd.org/people/) using internet-based source code control systems, as well as contributors who have sent us code to better support particular platforms and devices. In some cases, contributors are listed with their area of contribution on the system models page. Please send us mail if you or someone you know should also be listed here.
The port started in February 1994 when members of [Ludd, the computer society at Lule University (Lule Tekniska Universitet)](http://www.ludd.luth.se/) in Sweden wanted to run another
operating system than ULTRIX on the VAX machines that did not support 4.3BSD.
For porting purpose, two old VAX 11/750 were started and was used as the
initial development machines.
The VAX port started (approximately) with [NetBSD 0.9](http://www.netbsd.org/releases/formal-0.9/) source code, but was later merged in the common source tree.
Anders Magnusson is the maintainer of NetBSD/vax, and has so been from the beginning.
Matt Thomas added VAX shared library support to the NetBSD a.out dynamic loader and the GNU C/C++ compiler and toolchain.
There are no fundings for the NetBSD/vax development, but [Ludd](http://www.ludd.luth.se/) hosts most of the machines needed for the continued project.
Systems for which support exist only in current are marked *(current)*
- [VAX 11/78X systems](/ports/vax-models#star)
- [VAX 11/750 systems](/ports/vax-models#comet)
- [VAX 8600 and 8650 systems](/ports/vax-models#venus)
- [VAX 8200, 8250, 8300 and 8350 systems](/ports/vax-models#scorpio)
- [MicroVAX II family systems](/ports/vax-models#mayflower)
- [MicroVAX III family systems](/ports/vax-models#mayfair)
- [MicroVAX 3200 and 3300](/ports/vax-models#mayfair)
- [MicroVAX 3400 and 3500](/ports/vax-models#mayfair)
- [MicroVAX 3600](/ports/vax-models#mayfair2)
- [MicroVAX 3800 and 3900](/ports/vax-models#mayfair3)
- [VAXstation 2000/MicroVAX 2000 systems](/ports/vax-models#vaxstar)
- [MicroVAX 3100 model m10, m20 systems](/ports/vax-models#teammate2)
- [VAXstation 3100 model m30 and m40](/ports/vax-models#pvax)
- [VAXstation 3100 model m38 and m48](/ports/vax-models#pvax)
- [VAXstation 3100 model m76 systems](/ports/vax-models#pvax)
- [MicroVAX 3100 model 80](/ports/vax-models#waverley)
- [MicroVAX 3100 model 85](/ports/vax-models#waverley) *(current)*
- [MicroVAX 3100 model 90 (untested)](/ports/vax-models#waverley)
- [MicroVAX 3100 model 95 (untested)](/ports/vax-models#waverley)
- [VAX 4000/100, /105, /106A and /108](/ports/vax-models#spitfire)
- [VAX 4000/200](/ports/vax-models#spitfire)
- [VAX 4000/300](/ports/vax-models#pele)
- [VAX 4000/400](/ports/vax-models#pele) *(current)*
- [VAX 4000/500](/ports/vax-models#pele) *(current)*
- [VAX 4000/600 (untested)](/ports/vax-models#pele) *(current)*
- [VAX 4000/705A](/ports/vax-models#pele) *(current)*
- [VAXstation 4000 model VLC](/ports/vax-models#pvax2)
- [VAXstation 4000 model 60](/ports/vax-models#pmariah)
- [VAXstation 4000 model 90](/ports/vax-models#cougar)
[NetBSD/vax FAQ](http://vaxine.bitcon.no/) maintained by Gunnar Helliesen [ [mirror](http://vaxarchive.org/swdoc/bsd/vaxine/) ]
CVSweb for NetBSD wikisrc <wikimaster@NetBSD.org> software: FreeBSD-CVSweb