NetBSD/x68k is the port of NetBSD for the Japanese personal computer SHARP X68000/X68030 series. It runs on some models of X680x0 with MMU and FPU. When you use NetBSD/x68k, you may have to replace your machine settings (e.g. changing MC68EC30 with MC68030).
The History of NetBSD/x68k
The NetBSD/x68k port was started in 1993 by OKI Masaru. At first, it was ported from NetBSD/amiga, and tracked NetBSD 0.9, NetBSD 1.0, and NetBSD 1.1. NetBSD/x68k has been included in the official release of NetBSD from 1.2 onwards.
Since April 2002, Nishimura Takeshi is maintaining the NetBSD/x68k port.
- NetBSD/x68k 6.1.5 via FTP
- NetBSD/x68k 6.1.5 INSTALL notes
- NetBSD/x68k 6.0 pre-built binary packages from pkgsrc
- NetBSD/x68k 6.0 changes
- NetBSD/x68k 7.0 changes
Supported System Models
It is necessary to install Xellent30 or Jupiter-X MPU accelerator for X68000 series.
040turbo and 060turbo are also supported for X68030.
- X68000XVI/X68000XVI HD
- X68000SUPER/X68000SUPER HD
- X68000EXPERT/X68000EXPERT HD
- X68000PRO/X68000PRO HD
- X68000ACE/X68000ACE HD
NetBSD/x68k requires Motorola 6800 processor (with MMU), SCSI board and harddisks, and over 4MByte memory and 100MByte of disk space.
Although the in-kernel FPU emulator can be built into the kernel for 68030-based systems, we recommend to install a FPU.
- Sharp genuine MB89352 SCSI host adapter and their compatibles
- Most SCSI devices
- Built-in floppy drives
- Built-in frame buffer (both of the text and graphics screen)
- Built-in Z8530 serial
- Built-in parallel (Centronics printer interface)
- The standard keyboard
- The mouse / trackball
- PSX16550 TL16C550CN UARTs
- Neptune-X NE2000 Ethernet
- Nereid RTL8019AS Ethernet
- Nereid bank memory
- Nereid SL811HS USB host controller
- Mach-2 SCSI host adapters
- Tsukumo TS-6BE16 extended memory
- Built-in ADPCM voice synthesizer
Hardware that we do NOT currently support, but get many questions about:
- Old (SASI compatible) hard disk interface
We are planning future support for many of these devices. Contributions are welcomed!