On behalf of the NetBSD release engineering team, it is my distinct pleasure to announce that the third release candidate of NetBSD 7.0 is now available for download. As the old Schoolhouse Rock song tells us, three is a magic number. We're hoping that RC3 will be the magic/last release candidate of 7.0.
Some of the changes since 7.0_RC2 are:
- Add a resize_root boot operation (disabled by default). If resize_root=YES in rc.conf then the system attempts to resize the root file system to fill its partition prior to mounting read-write.
- Enable SMP on Raspberry Pi 2.
- evbarm: Rename beagleboard.img to armv7.img. The new image includes the same kernels as beagleboard.img plus support for Raspberry Pi 2, ODROID-C1, Cubieboard2, Cubietruck, Hummingbird A31, and Banana Pi.
- evbarm: For armv7.img and rpi.img, enable support for auto-growing the SD card root filesystem.
- Various DRMKMS stability improvements.
- Avoid kernel panic on starting X on Intel 855GM machines. PR kern/49875.
- Fix an uninitalized lock panic when trying to start a Xen kernel with LOCKDEBUG and more than one vcpu.
- Fix an issue where x86 microcode updates could fail if memory was not 16 byte aligned.
- Fix an IPFilter panic.
- macppc: Fix ofwboot failure on PowerPC 603 machines.
- OpenSSH: Apply fix for CVE-2015-5600.
- Fix an issue where fsck_ffs didn't properly handle replaying a WAPBL journal on disks with non-DEV_BSIZE sectors.
- Fix error in the setlist scripts that resulted in /bin/[ being missing from the base set. PR bin/50109.
- Make libperfuse handle resource limits properly.
- Make uplcom(4) suspend/resume.
- Fix case where coretemp(4) didn't attach on some newer CPUs.
- Avoid hanging on some machines after attaching ehci(4).
- Fix crash on oboe(4) attach. PR port-i386/50076.
- mountd(8): Write the correct pid is written to pidfile. PR bin/50125.
- patch(1): Guard against malicious filenames and substitution commands.
- patch(1): Drop SCCS support.
- ypserv(8): When transferring a secure map to a slave server, don't lose the secure flag. PR bin/50057.
- Make get_dev_size work on regular files too.
- Add -c to check to see if grow/shrink is required.
- Divide by DEV_BSIZE when returning size of file.
- Handle case in grow() where last cylinder group is too small for ufs2.
- Add a -p flag, which displays a progress bar.
- disklabel(8): Fix a bug that resulted in sun2 liveimages being non-bootable.
- Update libXi to 1.7.4.
- Update BIND to 9.10.2-P3.
The full list of changes can be found near the bottom of http://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-7.0_RC3/CHANGES-7.0
Binaries of NetBSD 7.0_RC3 are available for download at:
Those who prefer to build from source can either use the netbsd-7-0-RC3 tag or follow the netbsd-7 branch.
As always, please let us know how 7.0_RC3 works for you! Any feedback, whether good or bad, is welcome. Problems should be reported through the usual channels (submit a PR or write to the appropriate list). More general feedback is welcome at releng@NetBSD.org.
In July we cleaned up the repository so it can be converted easily; since then we've been working on the infrastructure and details of the conversion. The main tasks are now finished. We have set up a server for it which hosts a preliminary git conversion (on wip.pkgsrc.org) of the CVS repository, created a mailing list for the commit messages, pkgsrc-wip-changes, and prepared a list of authors for the conversion.
We've also provided a conversion of pkgsrc-wip based on data from July so that it can be tested on (nearly) live data. If you are interested in beta-testing the setup, send a suggestion for a username and an SSH public key to me. Details on how to test are on the NetBSD wiki but will probably change some more over time.
We still need help for the conversion: if you are or were a wip contributor, please let me know by September 15 what name and email to use for the conversion from CVS to git. This conversion will not be done again, so after that date, the commit data will be final.